Saturday, August 13, 2011

My transition to texlaxed land begins!!


I'm currently 2 weeks and 2 days post texlax. My line of demarcation in between my 3 textures is becoming more visible. I LOVE the way my texlaxed hair feels. The front of my hair seems to be a bit more textured than the back. That may be because I can't necessarily see the back so I can only judge by how it feels, which isn't too valid because the texture in the front and back of my hair are different. It can also be due to the way I applied to the relaxer; I always start in the back and work my way to the front which means the back is processing about twice as long as the front. I may try the half/half method next time to alleviate this issue. 

I have to return to school in 1 week and I have not yet learned how to style my texlaxed hair. During the summer I would simply throw my hair in a messy bun and go straight to class because I would go to the gym right after. However, now that Im out of undergrad and I begin the professional program I have to present myself in a professional manner. I'm thinking a nice braidout that is pinned up in some kind of style... hmmm.. still thinking.

For those who don't really know what I'm talking about - below is a quick texlaxing Q&A.

What is texlaxing?
Texlaxing is the act of purposely chemically under processing the hair in order to achieve a softer and looser curl pattern.

Where to get taxlaxer?
There are no actual texlaxer kits. The process is done by using a lye or no-lye relaxer.

How to texlax?
There are many ways to texlax but the most popular ways are to:
1. Dilute the relaxer with your favorite oil or conditioner
2. Coat your hair with your favorite oil or conditioner
3. Apply relaxer as normal and leave it in for a shorter period of time
4. Half/Half method - relax the back for short period of time then wash out and do front for exact same amount of time.

I use the first 3 options above to achieve my results.
There are plenty of videos on YT on how to texlax, check them out for more info.

How often to texlax?
As often as you would your regular relaxer, just make sure there is enough time in between so that there is not an overlap onto previously texlaxed hair. Those who texlax tend to stretch their relaxers longer 12 weeks+ but you don't necessarily have to. Just make sure that you try to go the same length of time in between relaxers in order to maintain the same pattern.

Why texlax?
1. STRENGTH - When the hair is texlaxed it is stronger than bone straight relaxed hair because there is less chemical exposure. The bonds in the hair are not broken down to the point to where it is limp and lifeless; there is a lot of elasticity left in the strand. When you relax bone straight it breaks down more protein bonds which weaken your hair strands.
2. THICKNESS - because texlaxed hair is not as straight it has more body to it; those who texlax tend to go longer in between relaxers which is another source of thickness.
3. VERCATILITY - you can rock the straight hair with plenty of body one day or you can rock it curly the next without any hassle or use of any heat

How to make the transition?
For those who are natural there is actually no transition needed, just apply the relaxer using whichever texlaxing method best suits you and that it!

For those who are relaxed it is a bit more difficult because you must transition. With every touch up you use whichever texlaxing method that suits you best; however, you must realize that you will have 3 different hair textures to manage. What works for your relaxed hair may not necessarily work for your texlaxed hair or your natural roots. Keep that in mind.

How long have I been texlaxing?
My first texlax was on June 3, 2011 after an 8 week stretch. I just completed my second texlax after another 8 week stretch which ended on July 28, 2011. I usually stretch 12 weeks but was not able to on these 2 occasions. 

Thanks for stopping by!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More